If you are having issues while signing in with your Apple ID password and want to know how to forget the Apple ID password, then keep reading till the end to learn about three ways to reset your Apple ID password or regain access to the account.
The three ways in which you can either gain access or reset the password to your account are listed below.
- Use own device
- Use others device
- If none of the above methods works
USE OWN DEVICE
If you want to know how to forget Apple ID password or lose access to your account, then bear in mind that there are several ways you can do that, and one of them is using your own or any other trusted Apple devices. Mentioned below steps will teach you how to do that.
- Go to Settings on your apple device.
- Click on your name, then password & security, and finally change the password.
- In case you are signed in with iCloud and have enabled the passcode, you will be redirected to enter the same passcode for the device you are using.
- After entering, you will be shown some instructions, so follow them and update your password.
USING MAC WITH macOS CATALINA OR LATER
If you choose to reset your password and regain access using Mac with macOS or later, you must follow the steps mentioned below.
- Choose the Apple menu, then system preferences, and finally click Apple ID.
- Here you need to click Password and Security, and if the system asks you to enter your Apple ID password, click “Forgot Apple ID or password” and follow the instructions shown on the screen; furthermore, you can also choose to skip the mentioned-below last step.
- Tap change password and enter your mac password
USING TRUSTED CONTACTS
If you want to know how to forget your Apple ID password or regain possession of your ID, remember that you can use various other options to execute the recovery process. For this method, you will need to either use the trusted phone number, a trusted email address, an account recovery contact, or a recovery key.
When you choose to recover your ID hassle-free, you can use a trusted phone number or a trusted email address. Moreover, you can also use a recovery key in case you are using it for the security of your account, as it will help you regain access to your Apple ID on your Apple devices.
Apple ID recovery options also include “account recovery contact”, and if you have set up this option, the account recovery contact can help you regain access to your Apple ID as you will be able to change your password using your Apple device, i.e., iPhone, iPad or iPad touch.
USE OTHER DEVICE
So how to forget Apple ID password using someone else’s Apple device? Well, you can regain possession of your Apple ID by resetting your password using others devices (make sure you use trusted friends or family devices). To do this, you need to have access to the Find My iPhone App or Apple Support App; moreover, you also have the option of going to the Apple store and asking them to provide you with a device for resetting your Apple ID password.
USING THE APPLE SUPPORT APP
To reset your Apple ID password using your family or friends’ Apple device, you need to download the app and follow the below steps.
- Click Password and Security
- Click Reset Apple ID Password.
- Then click “A Different APPLE id.”
- Here you need to enter the Apple ID you wish to reset its password.
- Click next and follow all the instructions given by the app till the end, where you will receive a confirmation notification saying that the password has been changed.
Remember that the information you enter will not be stored on the device you are using to reset your password.
USING FIND MY iPhone APP
Another way of resetting your Apple ID Password using other Apple devices is using the Find My iPhone app. To do this, follow the mentioned below steps.
- Open Find My iPhone App.
- You will see an “Apple ID” option given where you are supposed to enter the ID you want to change the password for. In case there is already an ID, make sure you erase it before entering your desired ID.
- In this step, click on “Forget ID or Password and follow further instructions given by the app until you receive a notification saying that your password has been changed.
Remember that on some devices, you may not see the “Sign In” option; in this case, you need to sign out the existing ID so that you can see an empty field. Additionally, tap forgets Apple ID or Password and follow the instructions accordingly.
In case none of those mentioned above works or you reside in a place with no apple support app available, you can still reset your password to gain access to your account with an account recovery option.
Sometimes you might have the option of speeding up the recovery process or resetting your password instantly if you verify the 6-digit code sent to you via your primary email address.
IF NONE OF THE METHODS WORK
In case you are done with all the previous methods of forgetting your Apple ID password and are still unable to change the password or regain Apple ID possession, you can try the below-mentioned steps.
- Visit iforgot.apple.com
- Enter the Apple ID that you wish to regain access to.
- Tap on “Reset your password” and click continue.
- Select your security question’s answer and then enter the recovery key you receive via email.
- You will be redirected to some instructions, so follow them accordingly until you reset your password.
Once you reset your password, you will be required to sign in once more with the changed password. In this case, you may also have to update the new password on your devices.
Remember that you cannot change or reset your password if you lose access to your trusted devices or recovery key, so make sure you remember.