You have 10 pallets of products to be shipped in containers from Pakistan to the USA or South Africa. Can I get a shipping quote now? Can I give you details later?
Believe it or not, these requests for quotes are common. However, to get an accurate and timely Freight Forwarding Company quote, you need to provide your freight forwarder with as much detail as possible.
Disadvantages of inaccurate sea freight estimates
Inaccurate shipping estimates can upset you in unexpected ways:
- Sellers can incur losses if they and buyers agree to pricing terms that assume lower Freight Forwarding rates than they actually are.
- Sellers can lose orders if they offer potential buyers more than the normal shipping cost.
- Your shipment may be delayed.
Comparing multiple estimates will give you mixed answers based on different assumptions.
A manufacturer incorrectly declared the size and weight of a shipment it shipped internationally. As more precise details emerged, the Freight Forwarding Company refused to take delivery of the shipment, delaying the shipment by several weeks.
The information you need to get an accurate ocean freight quote
The only way to avoid additional costs, delays and fines is to receive an accurate ocean freight quote right away. This is what a Freight Forwarder needs:
- Accurate data about what you are delivering. The same consumer electronics with and without batteries have very different delivery rules and costs. These goods include raw wood, wooden furniture, food ingredients and canned goods. Providing an accurate HS code helps Freight Forwarding Company identify any special requirements and costs associated with shipping a particular item.
- Accurate source and destination information. This is useful for port-to-port freight estimates. For international couriers, enter the exact address of the pick-up and drop-off locations.
- Complete Information about when to move the product. Shipping costs, like the prices of most things, are a factor of supply and demand. If you need to ship from Pakistan to the USA for Christmas, the sea freight estimates will be much higher than the non-busy shipping times.
- Exact product dimensions and size information. This data can have a significant impact on prices. For example, it helps Freight Shippers decide whether to ship full containers (FCL) or less than containers (LCL).
Other fees to know
Ocean Freight Forwarding estimates can include much more than the steam line freight costs. It’s actually a combination of multimodal costs that happen door to door.
For land relocations, pre-shipping fees will be charged before the containers are delivered to the port. Possible packaging costs, freight and/or rail costs, chassis use, etc.
Freight charges apply to the actual transportation of goods from port to port. Common costs include sea freight charges and bunker adjustment factors to compensate steamship lines for fuel cost fluctuations.
In the case of land transport after the container is unloaded at the destination, freight costs will be charged. These can be internal drying costs for transhipment and final delivery.
It’s a good idea to understand the different costs that may be included in your shipping quote.
Additional tips to remember when requesting an ocean freight quote
Prices change regularly in this volatile freight market. Do not use past estimates to estimate the cost of your next shipment. Also, don’t assume that a quote you received three weeks ago is still valid. Check the expiration date of the quote. After that, the Freight Forwarding Company considers the quotation as expired.
Know your international trade terms. These are the Terms of Sale that determine who (buyer or seller) is responsible for shipping costs, ocean freight insurance and certain shipping-related charges. So actually you don’t need to pay more than Your contract requires.
Experienced Freight Forwarders are highly skilled at offering accurate quotes for ocean Freight Forwarding. This is the biggest part of their work. But their recommendations and calculations are based on accurate data about what, where, when and how to load. If this information is incorrect or incomplete, the estimate is meaningless.
With a little work to collect this data, you can quickly get accurate shipping rates and better manage your busy shipping department.
Do you need a Freight Forwarding Company to help you manage all the details? Contact Master Movers for great service and shipping quote.