Clear eyesight is one of the greatest boons of nature. Though, there are a number of reasons that make you compromise your eye health. It can be your profession that demands long working hours in front of the computer or a sudden eye infection.
In one way or the other, your daily practices are also somehow responsible for your deteriorating eye health.
Albeit, you cannot control every situation or sacrifice essential aspects like your profession for keeping your eyesight better.
However, this is not an excuse also to take your eyes for granted.
You can care for your eyes following natural and effortless ways that might require a little lifestyle adjustment.
Want to know how? Here it is
Tips For Maintaining Good Eyesight
- Reconsider Your Food Habits: Your well-being largely depends on your food habits. The importance of a balanced diet is not unknown to the majority of people. However, somehow it does not always become possible to take balanced meals.
You can be in a hectic profession where it is difficult to manage time to prepare proper meals. You can also be inclined to have junk food. Nonetheless, there are certain nutritional elements that you need to include in your diet.
For healthy eyes, there is no alternative for Omega 3 fatty acids, Lutein, Zinc and Vitamin C.
These are some of the food sources from where you can get them in abundance:
- Leafy vegetables like Kale and Spinach
- Sea fishes like Tuna and Salmon
- Citrus fruits
- Say No to Smoking: A cigarette after a busy day might feel like a stress-buster but brings grave consequences in the long run. You can get Cataracts or develop Macular degeneration from smoking over years. Moreover, your optic nerve can also get damaged from the aftereffects of Nicotine.
Ditch the habit of smoking now and live a fuller life with better eyesight.
- Carry Enough Sun Protection Gears: The dangers of ultraviolet rays cannot be ignored. From sunburns to skin cancer, UV rays play the role of villains in many deadly diseases. Your eyes get affected by UV rays equally. If you are out in the Sun for a long time without any protective gear, the ultraviolet rays boost the chance of Macular degeneration.
Moreover, squinting, which is the natural response of your body puts pressure on the muscles around your eye. Your eyes get fatigued easily and you might face discomfort.
Thus, never forget your sunglasses at home the next time you go out. It gives you UV protection.
- Get a Good Pair Of Protective Glasses: The lives of people nowadays have largely become dependent on smart devices. From computers to Ipads and mobiles, you cannot simply spend a day without technology. Thus, you should invest in a pair of protective glasses.
You can contact your optician to know more about the types of protective glass layers and how to choose one to get rid of eye diseases.
- Try To Look Away From The Computer Screen: Does every day at work feels the same to you? Well, apparently it is not. You have to regularly compromise your well-being to stay productive. You can be a great performer. However, when you have to stay in front of the computer for a long duration, you are putting stress on your eye muscles.
What to do in such a situation?
- Try to look away from the computer screen or close your eyes from time to time.
- Do eye exercises
- Never Miss a Doctor’s Appointment: Your eyes are integral parts of your body. Therefore, you have to visit an eye doctor for a regular eye exam. You might have an eye disease without the slightest idea about it.
There are two types of eye doctors to see in need:
- An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor who offers complete eye care in Wavertree.
- An optometrist is not a medical doctor but a qualified specialist who can offer you general eye checkups and eye care programs.
- Keep Your Blood Sugar Levels In Check: Diabetes, more commonly known as blood sugar is a slow killer. It can degenerate your health day by day. There are a lot of reasons behind an elevated blood sugar level which are:
- Family history of Diabetes
- Excess Stress
- Bad food habit
To keep all sorts of eye diseases at bay, you should keep the blood sugar level in check.
- Maintain Healthy Body Weight: Being obese or overweight can welcome a list of lifestyle diseases. Moreover, it is not always fast food that causes weight gain. It can also be an improper diet. Body positivity is good but you need to keep body weight in check at all times to have healthier eyesight.
- Wash Your Eyes With Water: Most people like to groom themselves before going to bed but what do you do for your eyes? You need not go through an extravagant routine to maintain your eyesight. Just take out a couple of minutes and wash your eyes with water.
The clean and cool water will soothe your eyes well.
The Bottom Line
Apart from having healthy practices, you should stay cautious also. This simply means that, each time you face eye problems, do not delay to consult a doctor. Most problems do not go away on their own and if they do, you do not know about the future consequences.