Netgear WiFi range extenders use the existing wireless signal in your home and amplify it to reach all over your home dimensions. You simply need to get Netgear extender setup done to start accessing its network. Setting up the extender implies connecting it to your existing home network. You can effortlessly set your Netgear range extender to your home network either by using its web-based interface or by using the Nighthawk app. Both these methods do not need much effort and can be implemented by anybody on their own. However, after successful installation, there are times when this device starts giving some trouble. We have enlisted some of the common issues experienced by the Netgear range extender users. Let us go through them one by one and also know how to get them fixed.
Troubleshooting Netgear Extender Issues
Situation1: Netgear Extender Keeps Losing Internet
Sometimes, it happens that the extender keeps getting disconnected. During such a situation, this is what you need to do:
- Check that the Netgear extender is receiving an optimum signal from the main access point.
- Verify that there is no power outage and that the extender is receiving sufficient power supply.
- Make sure that there is no signal interference and also check that there are no devices placed near the extender that can block its signals.
- If the issue does not get fixed by verifying the above-mentioned things, then reboot your extender by unplugging from the power socket and plugging it back.
- Another possible solution to this, if rebooting does not resolve the issue is to perform the Netgear extender firmware update process.
Situation 2: Netgear Extender Can’t Detect 5 GHz Band
Sometimes, your Netgear range extender does not detect the 5GHz wireless band of the router or the 5GHz signal connection is intermittent. To get this issue fixed, do this:
- Place the Netgear range extender within the range of the router.
- Change the wireless channel of the router.
Situation3: Blinking Power LED
Another common issue with the Netgear extender is that at times its LED starts blinking. This happens due to an insufficient power supply or corrupted firmware.
- Ensure a trouble-free power supply to your Netgear range extender.
- Be certain that the power cable as well as the power socket has no damage.
- Download and upload the latest version of the firmware on your Netgear extender.
Situation 4: Unable to Change Netgear Extender SSID
SSID is the network name of the Netgear extender using which you can access its network. It is recommended to change the network name and password after the setup process to ensure there is no unauthorized access to your network. If you are facing any trouble while trying to change the SSID, then here is what you can do:
- Using a computer, open an internet browser.
- Enter the Netgear range extender login web address.
- Log in to your Netgear range extender by using the login username and password.
- Go to the Wireless Settings section.
- Change the SSID here by entering the new SSID and new password.
- Click on the Save button to make the changes effective.
Situation 5: Poor Internet Network with Netgear Extender
After installing the Netgear extender, you should be able to receive a high-speed internet signal throughout your home. However, if you are not receiving an adequate network using the Netgear extender, then this suggests that there is something wrong with the device. Let us see what can be done to handle this situation.
- Check that the Netgear extender is getting an adequate internet signal from the router. Here make a check on these points:
- If you have a wired connection between the router and the extender, then check that the Ethernet cable is not damaged.
- If the connection is wireless, then make sure that the Netgear extender is within the range of the router.
- Make certain that there are no devices or appliances that release radio signals as these can interfere with the router and extender network.
- Take care of any obstructions like reflective surfaces, thick walls, heavy mirrors, etc. which can block the network.
- Make sure that you have followed all the steps of the Netgear extender setup. Partial or improper setup may leave you having a poor signal from the extender.
So, this was all about 5 common issues with the Netgear range extender and their relevant solutions. By taking care of all the above points, you can prevent any Netgear-related issues effectively and can access Netgear_ext (SSID) smoothly without any worries.